Saturday, January 20, 2007

Chris - Kids

Excited gurgling, hysterical laughter, the nuclear reactor of energy that they all seem to be born with but which I have seem to have lost. I miss being a kid, carefree lives, where their only worry, is “where is my mommy and daddy?” At the mention of ice cream or Macdonald’s, and they would be instantly cheered up and with bright eyes and smiling faces. I wonder what always keeps them so happy? At 6 years old, they aren’t tainted by this world, they haven’t even know problems even if you tell them! How is their lives so happy at 6 years of age? While mine has been tormenting for 19 years?

When I look at them, at best, I have mixed feelings, they remind me a world so innocent, where their tongue is not dirt-ridden with vulgarities, where they had no scars, everything in the world is perfect for them, and possibly nothing can interest them for more than 2 minutes.

When I used to teach in Phillipines, as on a mission trip, we taught kids, who have possibly the worst life possible, some of them even work as prostitutes but they smile, how come they smile? They smile when they see us, and at least for 3 hours of lesion time they are not fighting the world out there, they don’t need to worry about hunger(because we brought snacks) and their hugs of goodbye were clenched tight with great reluctance, as if they never ever wanted to let us go.

Maybe its hope in those eyes, maybe the youngers ones aren’t as cynical as us, aren’t as jaded by life as we are, they all have a wellspring of hope that just bubbles, overflow, and just doesn’t seem to stop flowing. Sometimes I think I know it all, know how much life can throw at me, but I seem to forget something, and the kids always remind me of that, how life can be so simple, and so enjoyable as long as we look upon the world as a child again.