Sunday, April 08, 2007

JoN - My personal testimony for the unsaved

Had a hearty chat with my granny a few nights ago when I got back home frm work. She was telling me stuff abt my granduncle (in between laughters) who used to gallivant late into the night and come home drunk or too tired to wake up in the morning for work. Saying that my dad picks up a little from his uncle. Yea maybe.

She also told me how grandpa who used to be a devout Taoist become a Christian just before he passed on. It was a real journey of faith, courage and salvation. He used to harbor anti-Christian sentiments to the extent that he condemned his eldest son, my Uncle, for being one when he was young. It got so bad that he was chased out of the house. However, that did not stop my dad nor my other uncle from becoming Christians.

Grandpa used to worship a certain idol called the "god of the nine emperors". He carried those rocking sedans that brought the "god" to certain important festivals or ceremonies. Anyways, he hated Christian teachings so much that he wrote a lengthy script that was supposed to make his children understand the reason for his dislike. Then came the turning point.. My grandpa was a cautious man. He had a habit of turning the tap once more after use just to make sure. Once, he went to the temple to pray and was placing the joss sticks into the urn. Burying them deep and twisting repeatedly just to make sure they were firmly in place. While he was starting to leave the temple, he suddenly felt something amiss. He turned ard and saw that the joss sticks that he was so sure were deeply rooted into the urn, had fallen to the ground. He took this as some sort of a sign and slowly, became saved through prayer and all.

While grandma was telling me all abt grandpa's journey to salvation, thoughts abt my stepdad came across my mind. He was pretty much the same as grandpa. However, he hates anything to do with religion haha. Notorious for chasing people out the door whether they are good 'ol youngsters from neighborhood churches spreading the gospel or relatives. Salesmen and people asking for donations aren't spared either. A miracle however, changed his hostility towards Christianity. A pastor from one of my stepbro's church once visited him. Surprising thing was, as the pastor was telling him who was Jesus, what he has done for mankind and how to accept him in Chinese, my stepdad was actually listening and nodding as he understood. A response that used to be impossible. He was saved after praying the sinner's prayer and had since passed away peacefully..

Lijia was correct. No matter how difficult it is to achieve something, no matter how long it takes. God provides and it will work out by investing in faith. My grandpa and my stepdad are my testimonies going out to the unsaved.